Wednesday, September 12, 2007

7 September 2007

We have landed in Zambia! Although nothing about the trip has gone as expected, we rejoice in the fact that we arrived safely in Ndola to the very warm welcome of our Zambian friends.

Remember when I told you that my top living priorities are internet service and indoor plumbing? We have NEITHER at the present time. Please pray that God leads us to an affordable place He has prepared for us. We are paying $70/day for a guesthouse that we share with up to six other people. It makes Motel 6 look like a 5 star resort.

The kitchen is detached from the house and so are the toilet and the shower. I am no saint. I finally put my foot down tonight when I went to use the shower and was told not to lock the door because it is virtually impossible to unlock from the inside.

Excuse me, but I refuse to shower in a public place, AT NIGHT, in a small building detached from the main house without the ability to lock the door. I marched back in the house and stated just that. Jason did not fully understand why I felt so strongly about the situation but he came outside and stood by the door while I washed my hair for the first time since leaving Portland.

This is just ONE of many incidents. And yet, I rejoice that we are here in Zambia. I am astonished at what Zambians accomplish with almost no resources. Seriously!

Our first day in Zambia, Caylie ran around looking at everything on the guest house property exclaiming, “I can’t believe we are finally in Zambia!” She loves the activity, the people, and all the new experiences. Her new best friend, five-year old Amanda, lives right here next to the guest house.

Isata, Shauna, and Sia have thoroughly enjoyed Amanda and her siblings. Steven and Carlin introduced 13-year old Warren to the wonders of Legos. Even grown men are mesmerized by them.

The LORD has shown grace to us in many ways and for each one we are enormously grateful. I can’t over-emphasize how comforting it is to know that we are loved and prayed for by so many of you. I pray with all of my heart that God will refresh you as you have refreshed us. We love you all. PLEASE UNDERSTAND that your role as “senders” is just as important, perhaps even more so, than our roles here in Zambia. We will never take your love and support for granted.

No comments: