Monday, September 17, 2007

Church in Zambia

Our church here in Zambia is a blessing to us. The women have welcomed me with open arms and hearts. They can't wait to show me how to make nshima, Zambia's staple food. I know how to make it but I do not even begin to have the arm strength required to prepare this dish. Never the less, I must learn as nshima seems to be more than just a food. Zambians ALL love it. It's almost as if you cannot be Zambian if you don't eat nshima at least twice daily.

Worship is incredible. At this point, it is difficult for us to concentrate on worship as we are very aware of the African words and accents. It is truly beautiful.

Jason spoke yesterday and I must say, he is a natural. He isn't as loud or active as other preachers here, but he connects with the people in a powerful way. How incredible it is that the Holy Spirit transcends all cultures are language differences.

The Bible is very real to us here in Zambia. So much about the life of Jesus is revealed to my own heart as we press in to a new culture. We can identify with Jesus' life here on earth more than ever before. I could go on and on about this. Perhaps I will journal it all so that I may share it with you someday.

We should hear from our new landlord about a more definite move in date. Our house is being remodeled right now (and ohhhhh how it needs it). If I were to send you photos, every one of you would flip. But the landlord seems to be a man of his word. It will be wonderful to be in our own house. Right now, we have no privacy. Jason sleeps in one room with the boys. I sleep in another with the girls. There is a third room with six beds that are usually full of other people each day.

We love and miss you all. Even in Zambia, certain situations or people remind us of our loved ones at home. Thank you ever so much for praying for our children. They are loving Zambia life. Even when we were without water, the boys were especially happy. They see no reason for daily showers anyway.

But alas, we now have hot and cold water and for this we truly Praise God. We do not take water or food for granted here.

Thank you for your personal emails. They mean the world to me and to our family. Thank you also for your love and prayers. I know I've said this before but it is really true. We do not take your partnership with us for granted. Thank you!

Blessings and joy,

Beckie

No comments: