
Wow! Today was perhaps my most favorite of all since moving to Zambia six months ago. The Foursquare Women of Ndola Central, Ndeke, and Mufulira joined forces to host a women's conference in which Debbie, Sharon, and I were guest speakers.
How in the world can I describe this day? I have no idea so I guess I'll start with the babies. Yes babies. I know this goes completely against our American mindset but I loved seeing babies and small toddlers with their mothers during the entire event. Actually, they are with their mothers at every event but this is the first time I've seen so many in one place. Mothers worshiped and danced with their little bundles snuggled firmly on their backs.
I'm convinced that song and dance are part of Zambian DNA. Women sing and dance during their daily activities so naturally they do so during worship. And boy can they SING and DANCE! Their voices are strong and beautiful. Combine them with passionate worship in familiar hymns and songs in the Bemba language along with energetic dance and you get an incredible experience.
Thankfully, I am the only one with a camera. During one of the songs, Sarah Mwila, our interpreter grabbed my hand, drew me to the front, and proceeded to teach me how to dance like a Zambian. Mortified, I gave it my best shot which seemed to please and entertain everyone in the room. I was so glad to know that neither Debbie nor Sharon knew how to operate my camera. Whew!
Debbie was first up and did a fabulous job. Sarah Mwila interpreted our messages into Bemba and the Zambian women's words into English. Debbie is an outstanding teacher.
In between sessions, we prayed over several ladies and all of the pastors' wives. Truly, it was a powerful time.
Sharon is an amazing speaker and lover of people. Everyone in the room adored her and appreciated her teaching and prayer ministry.
I followed Sharon. I'd love to say I was a natural but that would be a total lie. I had written the wrong scripture reference so when I looked it up and began reading, it was on a completely different subject. Ughhhh. Finally, I just looked up and said "I'm sorry everyone. I am REALLY nervous right now." They were very understanding and accepting.
This is the first time I've shared in front of a group for years. The only thing that got me through was knowing that "in my weakness, He is strong!" It is not about me or my ability. Trust me, there is no way I can get puffed up with pride. I wanted to crawl in a nearby hole. Still, I loved every second of this conference and being with these ladies.
Oh! I almost forgot. When it was my turn to speak, I was introduced as "Our Zambian speaker" which really touched my heart, eventually. At first I looked around to see who the Zambian speaker would be. Finally, I realized it was ME!


At the end, Debbie and Sharon received a gorgeous traditional skirt and matching blouse each.
Here is everyone waiting for transport and chatting about the day. Oh! One more thing. Our dear friend Bridget Matambo joined us for the conference. It was wonderful to have her there.
It was fun sharing this experience with Debbie and Sharon. I can't wait for them to tell you all about it!
Blessings and joy,
Beckie


1 comment:
Just wanted you to know that we were praying for you at 6:10PM our time on Tuesday night at MMT. I hear that was about the time you were at the conference. God is so POWERFUL! I know seeds were planted and lives are being changed by HIS LOVE AND POWER.
Love,
Jo
Post a Comment