All of these things operating simultaneously was almost too much for my 51 year old heart to take but then my darling children all began singing Happy Birthday Mommy! Does it get any better than this? Not better, but the good life continued.
I found thoughtful, funny, beautiful, creative and tender messages in my inbox. There was a voicemail from my mom wishing me a happy birthday which was wonderful! If you are like me, you know how special it is to receive a message from your mom on your birthday.
And just now, I received another voice mail, (I'm totally choked up just typing this), from my "baby" Mae. She sang Happy Birthday to me!!!! She sounds so grown up!
For those who don't know who Mae is, she is a precious little girl who had me wrapped around her tiny finger the very moment our eyes met three years ago. It was, and continues to be extremely difficult to leave her behind when we came to Zambia. Mae's mommy and daddy shared their little bundle with our family in a way that transcended a typical daycare relationship. She and they became part of "us."

Our little Mae holding our 2007 family picture
(sent by her mommy along with a whole album of equally priceless photos)
(sent by her mommy along with a whole album of equally priceless photos)
Mae went everywhere with us in our Oregon Duck green van (Go Ducks!). She just knew she would be coming with us to Zambia. I can't even begin to describe how emotionally crushing it was to say "good bye" knowing that she didn't have a clue how long that would be. Whoa! I gotta get a grip here; this is a happy post! Anyway, her happy birthday song will forever be saved.
My thoughtful and loving friend Charity created a beautiful card featuring one of her own stunning photographs. Don't you just love it? Another keeper! I am so blessed.
Today, Farai read his first book! HOORAY!!! What an honor it is to walk a child through the reading process. It was more difficult for Farai--until today. He was so excited. Our friends and ministry partners Ken and Emily Marshall sent a link to an educational website from which I printed simple books.The Matambos joined us for dinner and ice cream tonight. During the kids' "5 Things I Learned Today" presentations, Farai stood up and read two of the books I printed out for him. It was a huge turning point for him and his parents. I captured the moment in pictures but once again, my "professional" flash card malfunctioned. Needless to say, I won't be using that one ever again.
After a dinner that included nshima, pumpkin leaves, a tasty stew, and a salad of tomotoes, cucumbers, and avocados, we all settled down to watch one of my favorite movies. About thirty minutes into the movie, we lost power and water all at the same time. It just popped back on again which is why I can finish this post tonight.
I give thanks to our Lord Jesus for showering me with warm and loving relationships within my home, within my country half a world away, and within my own backyard. I pray that all of you enjoy this day as much as I have.
Blessings and joy,
Beckie
PS We still do not have Skype phone service although I do receive voice mails. I will let everyone know when our ISP gets the problem identified and solved.


2 comments:
Happy Birthday Sweet Friend!!!!
I love and miss you and our chats.
You inspire me always!
I am blessed to call you friend.
With Love,
Renee
Happy birthday! It sounds like a lovely day. ;)
Post a Comment