Friday, January 11, 2008

HOMESCHOOLING IN ZAMBIA

Disclaimer: while I thoroughly enjoy educating my children at home for many reasons, I do not think the same choice is the best one for all parents or all students. It works for us and our children for the very reasons it might have a detrimental effect on other families. So while I speak positively about homeschooling my children, I am not sticking my nose up at those who put theirs in public or private schools. In fact, both of our older children attended public as well as private schools.

That said, what an honor it is to teach a child how to read, calculate numbers, research, and to appreciate other cultures. I never grow weary of hearing, "Hey mom, guess what I discovered!" This year, everything seems to have clicked for all six kids. With so much to explore outside, they often wake up before 5 a.m. to begin their studies giving them all afternoon for outdoor adventures.

Caylie is learning to read. Listening to her sounding out words and asking questions about the stories she reads brings tremendous joy to my heart.

One of the daily assignments is to present five things learned that day to the rest of the family during dinner. All six are learning to choose interesting topics as well as different ways to deliver information so that everyone else might want to explore the topic further.

Living in Zambia has opened a whole new world to our educational experience. Instead of interrupting the school system, we continued with the same curriculum, the same schedule, but in a completely different environment giving new meanings to familiar subjects.

I never hear, "When am I ever going to use this stuff in real life?" Mathematical understanding and quick facts recall benefits us with each trip to town or even when our vegetables are delivered to our home. I spend an average of 20,000 kwacha each day on vegetables. While this sounds like a lot of money, it is only $5. The kids are multiplying and dividing throughout their days as they figure out prices from tomatoes to taxi services. They are motivated to learn.

I snapped a few pictures this past week of the kids doing their school work.

Farai and Naomi are a bit overwhelmed by the amount of studies packed into each day but they are very good sports about it all.


Isata did her presentation on the anatomy of the eye.


Above, Sia helps Caylie with her subtraction problems.

Below, counting beans makes the problems understandable to her. Papa calls Caylie "our little bean counter."



Farai enjoys our animal books.

We are trying to wait patiently for Sharon and Debbie's visit which is less than two months away. Every day the kids pray that their trips to and from Zambia will be safe.

We love you all and miss you gobs and bunches!

Blessings and joy,
Beckie

No comments: