Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Our Latest Learning System

A few days ago, one of my children asked me how long I had been teaching. Her question took me by surprise as I had never really thought about it. Since I am always on the look out for more effective teaching ideas, I guess I continually think of myself as a new homeschooler. So, I was rather surprised to realize that I am finishing my sixth year! WOW!

Right now I have nine students at nine different levels in several different subjects. Five are working on different lessons of the same math book. All nine use the same computer. A few weeks ago I came to the sad realization that I had lost touch where each one was at in each discipline. Something had to change.

I worked until wee hours in the mornings over two weeks to develop a better system for keeping track of each child's progress in each subject on each day. I "think" I have come up with a fool proof system. Guess what? It's working and they like it! Imagine that.

Am I a good teacher? No, but I have excellent tools and the kids are all improving. My goal for each of my children and the Matambo's is that they learn how to learn. I want them to recognize the value of taking ownership of their education. Since moving to Zambia, they seem to have caught that vision. They find great satisfaction in asking open-ended questions and in developing new skills for discovering the answers. Ohhhh how this brings joy to my heart.

In the next few days, I will share updates to our housing saga. Oh boy, where do I even start? Until next time. . .

Blessings and joy,
Beckie

No comments: