No introduction to David Dively would be complete without mentioning that he is a devoted Steelers fan. Since we will have the privilege of watching football this year (HOORAY), we will certainly be thinking of him and cheering on the Steelers from our side of the country.
Now to the dinner. We wanted to give David a true Zambian meal complete with nshima, Zambian style meatballs, relish, and chicken. So we coerced Partner (our beloved taxi driver's wife) into preparing the feast. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking now.
It was Isata's turn in the kitchen but on big meals, everyone pitches in. Here they are making meatballs. Isata is standing on a stool; she hasn't grown THAT much!
We were quite surprised by the steps used to cook chicken. First it is boiled, then fried in at least an inch of oil on high heat. The strange thing is that this method shrinks the chicken pieces by at least 50% and at least that much of the flavor is dumped down the sink with the broth. Does anyone know why chicken is boiled before frying? We've asked but have been told, "This is how we prepare chicken in our culture". Well alrighty then...
When Partner dropped the first chicken thigh, taken directly from boiling water, into the hot pan of oil everyone jumped back as grease splattered everywhere! See photo below. (No worries Terri, your kitchen is all clean now but I was doubtful there for awhile.)
In the meantime, tunes filled the kitchen, thanks to DJ Steven, while Sia and Shauna (below) performed along with Celine Dion. Sia's stage, (twelve inch stool), makes her even taller than her siblings.
You gotta love those microphones. This kitchen is equipped with rubber spatulas, oops...microphones, aplenty for all the kids.
All of this singing and dancing is happening while Partner and Isata cook, although Isata did break out in song and dance several times in the process.Below, relish preparation begins by frying fresh tomatoes and onions before adding the spinach-like vegetable called "rape"...see why I prefer to call it a "spinach-like vegetable"?

Steven keeps the tunes playing and contributes his own vocals to the mix. Carlin is the drummer...and the girls? Well you can figure that out for yourself! Partner did not mind the noisy distractions.
And now...the grand finale...nshima, Zambia's favorite staple. I have cooked it many times but rumor has it that I do a lousy job, which is why I let Partner do the honors for David.Nshima is very thick and difficult to stir at this stage (see below). I have about as much arm strength as a fish so have not been successful at preparing the perfect batch.
Here is the whole crew pictured with David moments before diving into the meal.***
Oh my goodness, there is a ton of stuff to share with you but it will have to wait. We leave Zambia exactly one month from today. Lots to do between now and then...Blessings and joy,
Beckie








8 comments:
Thanks for sharing the pictures! Pastor Dave is my dad. :)
Blessings from the states,
Jen
I LOVE this! we are SO anxious to get you guys HOME! (tell Sia I love her shirt - where can I get one?!) thanks so much for posting this one (about time! haha) - we love you all so much.
love, Tara
Oh Beckie, i have so missed the blogs - this one is wonderful. Thanks for fitting this in with all you have to do to head HOME.
See you all soon.
Andrea
Fun fun fun!!! I can hear the music, see the dancin', and smell the food being prepared! All as if I were there with you. Love to all! Marlena
And to think that all this craziness will be taking place in MY house in just a few weeks! Holy cow. I'm gonna need a tranquilizer. Beckie, you guys will certainly have to hook up dear Darla with an authentic Zambian meal including nshima, (sp?), while you are staying here. However, I am going to have to put my foot down about boiling the chicken and then throwing it into a vat of hot, bubbling oil.
Darla
Jen, Greetings from Zambia to you and your family. We sure enjoyed your dad's visit. Thanks for visiting my blog
Tara, Andrea, and Marlena...I know it's been a long time since my last post. Lots going on as you know. See you all VERY soon!
Darla, oh yeah...the Sibley Invasion will hit your house on the evening of September 14! We will try to be quiet, especially early in the morning but you know how my kids are when they are around YOUR husband! See you soon!
Post a Comment