Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Family crisis in the States, malaria, and raw sewage...what a week!

and it's only Wednesday! I debated about whether or not to write this post as I know it will not come across as upbeat or encouraging. I like sharing all the good things. They are fun to write about and ohhh so fun to experience. But life isn't all about good or fun times. It is also about pain, loss, disappointment among other not so fun experiences.

Read on for a full explanation of this photo...

Last week, we received word of a family crisis back home. There is nothing like waking up, checking my email, and receiving a message from my always level-headed son like the following: Please call, emergency! I guess the only thing worse is not having reliable phone service with which to make the call. I phoned multiple times, left messages, and received no response. Why you may ask? Because my calls were going straight to voice mail and Justin didn't get my voice mails until TWO DAYS LATER! So when calling didn't work, I came to my trusty computer and emailed, twice. Guess what? The emails didn't show up either!

Finally, our service was restored and his call came through. It was so good to hear his voice and to discover that the crisis did not involve either him or his lovely wife. Yet the news was still horrible.

Of course my adrenaline was racing, heart pounding, and I couldn't sleep. Please don't tell me, "You just need to trust God." I do trust God and believe in His sovereignty. That said, I live in a human body that reacts to terrible news and always has. It's just that now I'm a bit older, okay a lot older, and stress deals a major blow to my immune system. So what happens then?

Malaria. Yep, I started feeling sick within a couple days and by Sunday I knew malaria was attacking me once again. We keep the medication on hand at all times so I began treatment Sunday morning. Even though it was caught early, malaria is extremely painful. Kind of adds insult to injury as my mom use to say.

Now if that weren't enough, Saturday night we noticed an unusually strong odor coming from the boys' room. Jason checked the sewage system and once again, the sewage of five other houses was backed up to our system. He called immediately and was told someone would be out the next morning.

By Sunday morning, raw sewage was running through our yard just like it did last August. It is now Wednesday and the problem is no closer to being resolved. The guys come out around 10 a.m. and go home at 1 p.m. I am not remotely kidding about this.

I snapped the picture above from our front porch in the pouring down rain. What you see in that image is raw sewage in our yard. The stench is terrible. Of all the inconveniences we've experienced during the past year and a half, the sewage issues are by far the worst. So when you add family crisis and malaria to the sights, sounds, and odor of flowing raw sewage...well...this is not a good week for us.

Just so you know, I'm feeling a thousand times better than I did even yesterday so I am on the mend. Thank you to each and every one of you who prayed for me and sent sweet, encouraging messages. Truly, knowing that you are out there, that you love me and my precious family, means so much.

I also want to thank our dear friends and family who are sharing the crisis at home with us. Your love, devotion, and willingness to pray and do all that you can truly means a lot. It is said that you really know who your friends are when you face crises. I believe that to be true. And you know what? We are surrounded by the most devoted, loyal, loving family and friends in the whole wide world. Of course I didn't need a crisis to figure that out. I've always thanked God regularly for the relationships I hold so dear.

I also want you all to know that just because I get discouraged does not mean I have lost faith or hope. Not at all. Even the great people in the Bible went through tough times and found themselves struggling with discouragement. So I will close with one of my favorite scriptures:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heats and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7
Blessings and joy,
Beckie

5 comments:

tara doty said...

we love you so dearly, Beckie. thank you taking the time to post this while you're feeling so discouraged -- we appreciate your true self and honesty. our prayers are with you constantly.

love, Tara

Anonymous said...

Dearest Beckie, thank you for being willing to let us "share" in this time also. The Victories are all the sweeter when we know the struggles. I am glad to hear you are on the mend and we trust that God is 'mending' the home situation also. Of course with my twisted sense of humor I would think that the sewage problem would be EVIDENCE of the gravity of the problems!! if you know what i mean. anyway, I guess Sally & I could come over with shovels & teach those guys how to work!?!! How do you & Jason keep from strangling someone?
Love you all and we look forward to you getting off the poop list!
Love you! Andrea

Unknown said...

Hi Beckie, I'm so glad you are feeling better... what a serious thing malaria, and the gravity of the home situation..oh my.. yes, there sure are faithful friends doing all they can, even driving to B. in the snow yesterday to be there. Much prayer is going up for these two.. first step is underway. I agree with Andrea, how do you keep from "strangling" someone over the sewage issue! Argh and YUK. I'm praying for you all there and here.
Love, Margaret

Beckie Sibley said...

You three are absolutely the BEST! Andrea, I woke up, read your comment before even drinking my first cup of tea which is a good thing because it made me laugh.

Thank you all for understanding that there are times when yes, we want to strangle someone, or two, or three, or many! The problem is still not fixed.

The blockage is two houses down. Jason goes down there to check on their progress, or extreme lack thereof, regularly. They do not work more than 3 sometimes 4 hours each day.

There is a crew of 5-6. Four or 5 stand around while one man digs. Jason took pictures.

The sewage at that house is even worse than ours. Somehow that makes me feel better. What's up with that!

Honestly, I don't know how missionaries of old did it. I am an absolute WHIMP!

Thank you for your comments. I love and need the humor. Sometimes you do have to laugh. I guess I needed to be reminded of that. It felt great!

Love you all,
Beckie

CWIKS said...

I am constantly blessed and encouraged by your lives. You guys have such an amazing family and even in the midst of your trials you minister to me. It is so awesome to be able to experience your lives through blogging. I hope that you are feeling better and know that we think of you often. Tell everyone hello and keep going.
Kelly