Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One word best describes my six weeks in the USA (part 1)

INDESCRIBABLE! But I will try anyway.

First of all, it broke my heart to leave my hubby and four of our children in tears. All who know me will remember that I wouldn't even leave our little ones in the church nursery if it upset them to do so. Imagine how difficult it was to leave them for six weeks!

I was grateful for the privilege to globe-trot with 10 year-old Sia and 7 year-old Caylie. The girls are terrific travelers and enormously helpful. We managed to have extra seats for both transcontinental flights (Jo'burg to London then London to San Francisco) giving us more space to stretch out and even doze a bit. Honestly, I cannot imagine embarking on such a long journey alone. I know people do it all the time but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Finally, we landed in San Francisco found our luggage without incident and started for the Customs area where we were greeted by a huge sign "Welcome to the United States of America". I choked up at both the sign and the friendliness of the officer. He handed over our passports and said cheerfully, "Welcome home".

Still teary eyed over that experience, we rounded a corner and saw another sign with "Sibley" hand written in blue Sharpie (of course) held by my oldest son. Next to Justin capturing the moment on camera was my daughter in-law Lisa. How do I describe that emotional scene? Indescribable!

As if I wouldn't know him! It was absolutely wonderful to see Justin and Lisa after all this time! I so appreciate Lisa capturing these moments. The photos bring back joyful memories.

We brought six empty suitcases. Trust me, they didn't all fit onto one cart when I returned to this same airport six weeks later. They were far from empty thanks to so many of YOU!!!
Together at last!
Left to Right: Me, Justin, Caylie, Sia

Our first days were spent recuperating from our long journey and purchasing clothes for Sia. She had grown through several sizes and had nothing that fit. So off to Target we walked. (Justin and Lisa were temporarily living in Sunnyvale, California while they waited for their new house to be finished).

It was great to find terrific deals on summer clothes since the States was well into fall weather. I found several tops and shorts under $5 for both girls and boys. In one store, I asked a clerk if the items were mismarked as the tags read $1. Yippee!!!

That Friday, Lisa had scheduled an appointment with her favorite hair stylist for ME! The whole salon experience was heavenly and came complete with pink lemonade on ice.

While I was being completely pampered, Justin took Sia and Caylie to Jamba Juice where they met two of his co-workers at eBay. They laughed and shared a few "Justin" stories between them.

Lisa shared every free moment she could with us and we savored each one. However, without any vacation days left for this year, her time was a bit limited. That said, the fact that she put so much effort into being with us and making that time extra special touched my heart to its core. I am blessed with a very dear daughter in-law whom I treasure.

The next day Justin drove us and our empty suitcases to Redmond. It had been a full year since we had the pleasure of taking a road trip. With Zambian gas prices ranging between $9-10/gallon, we only travel when we have to and the longest distance is a one-and-a-half hour bumpy ride to Mufulira. So Sunnyvale, California to Redmond, Oregon was absolutely spectacular. I enjoyed that one-on-one time with Justin, Sia and Caylie along with viewing the beauty all around us.

There is no way to fit my whole six weeks into one post as every day was full. So I will post a little bit each day in between filling you in on life in Zambia since our return.

Blessings and joy,
Beckie

(The rainy season has begun which means everything is beautiful BUT our internet service is interupted with each down pour. That said, I'm trying to get all of my posts done on Word so they are ready when service is restored.)

1 comment:

tara doty said...

what a sweet account of events - and very touching... I'm so glad you could share these incredibly *real* emotions of your first moments back in the the USA. :)

love you.