
Our house is split level. The upstairs consists of the master bedroom, bathroom, and our office area. One whole wall in both the office and our bedroom is windows. Jason and I thoroughly enjoy our space up here. We can watch the most beautiful clouds I think I've ever seen as well as approaching storm systems.
As much as we enjoy our large windows, we are also saddened each time a bird flies into one of them. Most die within minutes after impact. Tonight, I was working on the computer when the familiar thump startled me. I looked up in time to see a bird fall to the ground below. By the time I got to the window and looked down, Jason had picked up one of the young falcons we have enjoyed observing this past couple of weeks.
He was outside with his binoculars watching two falcons when one flew into the window then immediately dropped to the ground in front of him. I grabbed my camera and ran downstairs. All of us were outside praying that our little falcon would not have life-threatening injuries, even though falling that far after crashing into a window usually ends in death.
The falcon was unconscious but Jason could feel his heart beating. The pictures below document his recovery ending when he flew into a nearby tree. As you can see, he is an amazingly beautiful creature.
The first three images below were captured within two minutes after he hit the window.



The falcon woke up enough to fly into a grassy patch in the pool area. He is still dazed in the photo below but is beginning to wake up.
We were encouraged when he folded his wings. Several minutes passed between these pictures.
You can see the looks of sincere concern on everyone's face in the following picture.
Jason got a stick and helped the little guy up onto a solid surface so that he could fly off easier than from the wet, deep grass.

We welcomed each improvement. Steven prayed for the falcon. Almost as soon as he said "Amen" it flew up into the tree. I drew a frame around the area and enlarged it making him easier for you to find.
I hope you all enjoy my sharing tidbits of our lives here in the beautiful country of Zambia. We miss you tons!Blessings and joy to all,
Beckie


No comments:
Post a Comment